Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Ive just signed a contract with an ADT authorized dealer to

I've just signed a contract with an ADT authorized dealer on or around 9/15/11 to install an alarm system in my home that I rent. I've decided to cancel it because I may have some issues with the homeowner. The installer will be at my house in three days Oct 3/2011 to install the system . Do I have to accept the contract even though it's not installed yet? How can I cancel the contract?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You need to read the contract you signed for their cancellation provision first. Second, if this was an unsolicited contract where they came soliciting you for the alarm, you have a legal 3 day right to rescission and you need to send them a written rescission of the contract immediately. Third, if you called them and solicited their business, then their contract terms dictate your legal right to cancel. Your practical right to cancel in that case would be that since it has not been installed you need to send them a written cancellation and then you would be liable for whatever the contract specifies as damages for breach of the contract if it did not have a cancellation provision.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”