Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I received a ticket for NYC BIKE/Skate rdlgt in the mail saying

I received a ticket for NYC BIKE/Skate rdlgt in the mail saying my license will be suspended for not appearing and that I have to post 40 dollars bond if i wish to plead not guilty. The date it says is from a few months back but this ticket is not mine. My last name is XXXXX XXXXX the date says 1985 m i was born in 1987! and worst of all i dont own a bike i own 2 vehicles! what do i do? how can officers give out tickets without properly identifying the person they gave this ticket to claiming to be me! can i sue?
You need to appear in court to move to have it dismissed and you have to post your $40 which will be returned to you upon dismissal of the ticket. As soon as you provide the proof of the errors in identification of you on the ticket together with proof you do not own a bike to the prosecutor they will issue the dismissal. You cannot sue the police for someone using your identity and in many cases since a license is not required for a bike if the person did not have any identification the police take the information verbally from the person who was stopped.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”