Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My daughter has her fathers last name but I live in Louisiana

Customer Question

My daughter has her father's last name but I live in Louisiana and he lives in Missouri and won't give me his basic information so we can get her birth certificate. She is 21 months and he still hasn't helped me in getting her birth certificate. I'm looking into changing her last name so I can get her birth certificate without worrying about getting her father's information as well, but not exactly sure how to. Advice?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
When the child was born, you could not have him placed on the birth certificate without his information. If you have not filed for a birth certificate yet, then you can file the birth certificate without his information and list him as unknown since he will not cooperate and provide the information for the birth certificate and then you can put whatever name you want on the birth certificate. You do not need to change her name if the birth certificate application has never been filed, you can file it now and name her as you please.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”