How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12457
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a case for public disclosure of a private fact and want

Customer Question

I have a case for public disclosure of a private fact and want to find a contingency attorney in Las Vegas.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question. Invasion of privacy torts are handled by personal injury attorneys and general civil litigation attorneys, but only a fraction will take that type of case on contingency under any circumstance, so no matter what you will need to plan on having to do some searching.

There is not a central list of attorneys who will take a case on contingency. Furthermore, most law offices will take contingency matters on a case-by-case basis; if the case is strong, they are more inclined to take one that is weak. So, if you have a strong case, you should have a lot more success finding someone to take it with no money until you win. If your case is weak, you won't find anyone to take your case on a contingency basis.

So as it turns out, there are no guarantees that any given attorney is willing and available to take any given case. You also have to keep in mind that a "good" attorney for one person is not necessarily a good attorney for someone else; every attorney has their own personality and style, and clients need to choose someone that they feel comfortable with (and vice versa).

Wins and losses mean nothing. An attorney who wins most of their cases is an attorney who is afraid to take a difficult case. Some cases are so easy, a monkey in a tuxedo could represent you and you would still win if it went to court. A good question for a prospective attorney is "tell me about a case that you lost".

Any attorney who has been practicing in their field for at least two years has already experienced 99.5% of the situations that will arise in any given case. It takes another 50 years of practice to experience the remaining 0.5%. It is ok to go with someone who has been practicing for a shorter period of time and you can almost always get a better price by doing so; just make sure that s/he has at least 2 years of practice.

I typically refer customers to www.martindale.com when looking for a local attorney with a specific type of practice. Martindale lists most of the world's attorney of geographic area, type of practice, years of experience, etc.; it is also the tool that most attorneys use when searching for other attorneys with expertise outside their own. Since there is no guarantee that any one attorney is willing or able to take any particular case, there is almost always some searching involved even with simple cases, but Martindale typically facilitates that search.

Another option is to use www.avvo.com. AVVO rates attorneys; if you are in the industry, you may see that an attorney or firm boasts an "AV rating"; AVVO is basically a peer-reviewed entity that rates attorneys by experience, reputation, knowledge, etc. The grades are AV, BV, and CV. AV is the highest rating. Again, there is no guarantee that any one attorney will be able or willing to take or review any particular case, but this is the place to start.


I understand that there may be follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.