Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My wife and are going to see Attorney soon to talk about a

My wife and are going to see Attorney soon to talk about a separation.I am retire military, I was retire before we were marrage.What right do she have to my retire. WE been marrage 11 yrs.
Submitted: 2 years ago via SpeedingTicketCentral.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good evening.This would be considered premarital separate property in a separation or divorce.You would not have to divide this at all since it was vested prior to marriage.Now if this marriage was five years or more court might award her spousal support but the retirement here is clearly premarital and should be assigned to you in a divorce.

RayAnswers :

Law for reference

RayAnswers :

The court shall make a final equitable apportionment between the parties of the parties' marital property upon request by either party in the pleadings. Each spouse is entitled to keep his or her non-marital property, consisting of property which was:

1. Acquired prior to the marriage.

2. Acquired by gift or inheritance.

3. Acquired in exchange for non-marital property.

4. Was acquired due to an increase in the value of any non-marital property.

5. Property that is excluded from marital property by written contact of the parties. In making apportionment, the court must give weight in such proportion as it finds appropriate to all of the following factors:

• The duration of the marriage together with the ages of the parties;

• Marital misconduct or fault of either or both parties;

• The value of the marital property. The contribution of each spouse to the acquisition, preservation, depreciation, or appreciation in value of the marital property, including the contribution of the spouse as homemaker; provided, that the court shall consider the quality of the contribution as well as its factual existence;

• The income of each spouse, the earning potential of each spouse, and the opportunity for future acquisition of capital assets;

• The health, both physical and emotional, of each spouse;

• The need of each spouse or either spouse for additional training or education in order to achieve that spouse's income potential;

• The non-marital property of each spouse;

• The existence or nonexistence of vested retirement benefits for each or either spouse;

• Whether separate maintenance or alimony has been awarded;

• The desirability of awarding the family home as part of equitable distribution or the right to live therein for reasonable periods to the spouse having custody of any children;

• The tax consequences to each or either party as a result of any particular form of equitable apportionment;

• The existence and extent of any support obligations, from a prior marriage or for any other reason or reasons, of either party;

• Liens and any other encumbrances upon the marital property, which themselves must be equitably divided, or upon the separate property of either of the parties, and any other existing debts incurred by the parties or either of them during the course of the marriage;

• Child custody arrangements and obligations at the time of the entry of the order; and

• Such other relevant factors as the trial court shall expressly enumerate in its order.

[Based on South Carolina Code of Laws Section 20-7-472 and 20-7-473]

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

RayAnswers :

Here are the factors the court considers in deciding whether spousal support is appropriate

RayAnswers :

RayAnswers :

Here is legitimate local lawyer referral

Ray, Lawyer
Experience: 29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law