Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law

what can i do legally if someone stole my dog?

Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed Florida attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:

• Did the police make an arrest? If not, why?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well the dog was missing from my back yard. when i got home my family helped me look for the dog and pass out flyers. one of my neighboors told me who has the dog and gave me her phone number. When I called she said she wasnt giving the dog back and right away she change her phone number. After much research i found she owns a property and got her adress. I went there with the police and the person who answer to the door said they dont know who she is. but i did a background check and know for sure she is the owner of the property.
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.

A crucial issue here is whether you can prove who has the dog. If you cannot, then you have no viable legal recourse. However, if you can prove who has the dog, then you have a couple options.

Pursuing the matter criminally would be the easiest route for you. If the police can make an arrest, this person can be prosecuted for the theft and, of course, required to return the dog. This would cost you no money and require very little effort on your part.

If the police do not make an arrest, then you might consider initiating a civil lawsuit. This method would require some costs, such as filing fees and the hiring of an attorney. It would also require more effort on your part as you would need to make court appearances and/or meet with your attorney from time to time.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph, Attorney
Experience: I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what if the neighboor who told me she has the dog is willing to help and verify?
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.

That would definitely help your case. If you have enough evidence to prove the theft, then both the criminal route and the civil route would be that much more likely to succeed.

Joseph, Attorney