RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I wrote a letter of intent to retire from my job as a teacher

Customer Question

I wrote a letter of intent to retire from my job as a teacher and hand-delivereded it to the superintendent. I then received a letter the next day from my principal saying that I was given a new assignment. This changed my desire to retire, so I called the Superintendent's office the same day I got the letter to ask if I could withdraw my letter of retirement. They said no, once I put my letter in it was final. I would like to know if I have any grounds to challenge this under the law that says you have three days to change your mind after signing a cotract.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, please do not hesitate to reply if you have additional questions or need more information.

The three day right to cancel a contract only applies in certain circumstances, such as home solicitation sales. It is not a broad spectrum law as most people believe it is, and would not apply in your situation where you signified an intent to resign and then had a change of heart. Unless your employment contract itself allows you the right to withdraw your notice of intent, the Superintendent is under no obligation to do so.

*************************************************************************************************************

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code, and compensate me for my time as you would any other professional.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.