Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

can a process server serve papers on a sunday or public holiday

can a process server serve papers on a sunday or public holiday in putnam valley , new york?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Papers cannot be served on a Sunday. N.Y. Gen. Bus. Laws, Section 11. They also cannot be served on a Saturday, if the person being served keeps Saturday as a holy time. Section 13. There is no law that papers cannot be served on a federal or legal holiday.

You can contact the person trying to serve you and arrange a time and place for service. This is actually not terribly uncommon, as many people prefer to know when service is coming, rather than have it sprung on them at an inconvenient or embarrassing time and/or place. You can also notify the plaintiff that you will not object to service on your attorney, or even by mail. If you agree to waive personal service, that would be valid - you would just have to sign something stating that.