MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

My college friend Jeff gave me a collectible Schwinn bike Feb.

My college friend Jeff gave me a collectible Schwinn bike Feb. 2002 (I have email documentation). I subsequently restored the bike, upgraded it with genuine vintage parts and shared pictures of the resurrected bike with Jeff to thank him.

Nine years have passed with no questions about the bike or my use of it. Jeff recently told me he and his wife were to visit Yosemite and asked if he could use the bike to ride it there? He said he'd drop it at my house or where I work up his return. I said sure, got it ready for him, helped him put it in his car and wished them a good trip.

On their return, Jeff called me minutes before their flight left for Denver from San Jose saying they ran out of time and couldn't stop by my house. I asked where the bike was and he bluntly told me he had stopped at a bike shop and had it boxed and sent to his home in Denver. He said he'd like to use it again and would provide me with an "equitable" proposal and hung up.

I immediately realized I had be taken and sent him an email and left a phone message asking for the imediate return of the bike. I've received no response and don't expect any.

How do I get the bike back or get paid for its value which is approx. $1,500?

Thanks,

Brian Steen, Palo Alto, CA
Expert:  MShore replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Are you opposed to filing a small claim suit against him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm OK on filing a small claims suit. I was guessing that's my recourse.
Expert:  MShore replied 2 years ago.
Yes, because he has not complied with your written demands, the small claims suit for the return of the vehicle would be your recourse.
MShore, Attorney
Experience: Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.