MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced attorney in contract law, litigation and employment law

Re denial of medical coverage I am a 36 yr old female with

Re: denial of medical coverage

I am a 36 yr old female with several health issues. I was covered under my employer subsidized medical plan until I left the company, after which I continued with the coverage under Cobra. This was with Kaiser Permanente.
I got married a few months ago and I wanted to enroll on my husbands insurance plan. He has an individual ( not group ) plan and I applied to be added during our first 3 months of marriage. This is with Blue Cross of California.
The insurer declined me on medical grounds. Can they legally do this as I am currently covered on my own insurance under Cobra?
Expert:  MDLaw replied 5 years ago.
Yes, currently, an insurance company is free to deny coverage to individuals which they deem high risk.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. Otherwise, please remember to hit the green ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for our time, expertise, and research. We do not get paid by the website and so we rely on customers to honor the honor system and accept our responses so that we can continue to provide this service to people such as yourself. When leaving feedback, please also remember that we experts do not make the laws. We only report what the laws are and so please do not shoot the messenger.