LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

What was the U.S. Supreme Courts decision is Ricci v. DeStefano

What was the U.S. Supreme Courts decision is Ricci v. DeStefano case regarding "Adverse Impact." And how has this decision changed the racial and social implications regarding discrimination, in the legal realm?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with civil litigation experience. I will be glad to try and answer your questions. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification after reviewing the following information.
  2. "What was the U.S. Supreme Courts decision is Ricci v. DeStefano case regarding "Adverse Impact." The holding of the Court in its 5:4 decision was that a city's ignoring of firefighter promotion test results violated Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Ricci v. DeStefano,XXXXX 2658, 2671, 174 L. Ed. 2d 490 (2009)
  3. "And how has this decision changed the racial and social implications regarding discrimination, in the legal realm?" Following the holding, the city reinstated the test results and soon promoted 14 of the 20 firefighters in question. The city also paid monetary damages, attorney's fees, and contributed to the pension fund. More broadly, the decision has changed the racial and social implications of racism by making it easier for aggrieved plaintiffs (litigants) to bring suit. This comes after many years of holdings making it more difficult to do so. In other words, it amounts to at least a modest civil rights judicial victory.
  4. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.