lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

Can the bank take my retirement savings if they dont want

Can the bank take my retirement savings if they don't want to settle for deed in lieu of foreclosure?
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

No they cannot and if this is your principal residence and the loan is the original loan, then they cannot obtain a deficiency judgment to attach any of your assets. In any event, your retirement is exempt.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does that include annuities?
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Here is the complete listing of exemptions and it does include annuities that you have had for over two years.

http://www.azb.uscourts.gov/documents/arizona_exemptions.pdf

An accept for my time is always appreciated and required for me to receive any credit from JA
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My grandmother is in a nursing home in MN. She has enough money to pay her way for several years. Can she give gifts of cash or property to her kids and grandkids without penalty? How much/person/year?
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
I assume that you want to proceed with a separate question.

Any gifts within five years of filing for Medicaid will make her ineligible for Medicaid benefits for a certain period of time depending on the regulations in effect at the time she applies. She can gift 13,000 per year per person without having to file a gift tax return and there are no taxes of any kind.