lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney

I was recently approved for an Accidental Death Benefit from

I was recently approved for an Accidental Death Benefit from the New York City Employee's Retirement System, under the NYS Retirement and Social Security Law, Article 15; Section 607, for my husband's death, which was deemed to be a Qualifying Condition resulting from his work on and following 9/11/01. I understand that I do not have to pay City or State Taxes on this Accidental Death Benifit, but what about Federal Tax? Is this Accidental Death Benefit that I receive subject to Federal tax?
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

I am very sorry for your loss. The death benefit is similar to life insurance and is not taxable either city, state or Federal. Best wishes to you and your family.