TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I am trying to buy a used motorhome. After finding one, I asked

Customer Question

I am trying to buy a used motorhome. After finding one, I asked to see the title I copied the title number and the vin number. I didn't check to see if the motorhome's vin number matched the one on the title. It is aXXXXXand the sellers are a bit skitish so I don't want to offend them. I did a car fax that showed no problems. but the tittle shows a lien. I don't have a copy and am not sure about the details. Also the DMV office said the vin number showed a lien. The desk clerk said " Don't worry about it." I am worried about it, mechanics liens or storage fees or scams. For all I know the title may might have been some sort of almost legal but not quiet the official florida title. Mostly I don't what to miss out on closing the deal on what seems like a good used motorhome that I would like to own. What and where is the last word that says I not getting taken for a ride.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

If the DMV states that there is an unsatisfied lien on the vehicle, then I'd walk from the deal. It means that at some point in the future, the lienor could have the vehicle repossessed if the lien is not paid off. You'd have no valid defense to the repossession since you would have bought the vehicle with notice of the lien (since the lien is recorded on the title). In other words, you knew or should have known what you were getting into.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then feel free to let me know, as I will be happy to clarify my answer or help with your follow-up questions. In the meantime, please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion). Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I pushed the accept button, butttttt I need to understand better. The clerk at the DMV wasn't giving me much time or help. The don't worry about it reply should tell you that. The lien I saw on the tittle could have been an old one from the bank. So is thier a place that I can research all the possible liens and get a more complete picture of the vehicles status and finacial history. The place where any liens would be documented. CarFax gave me some sort of gareentee that they would buy the vehicle but if their is a big lien I might get stuck. If the the lien was for a couple of hundred I could pay it and still have a good deal. Older people can be criminals or just confussed so I still don't what to give the sellers the 3rd degree or start water-boarding granny.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hi again.

No, the DMV will not likely give you access to the titles. The simple way to handle this is to just call the seller and explain your concern. Just say that you noticed that the title has a lien recorded on it and that you want to be sure that it was paid and that a clear title would be provided to you. You could also draft a short bill of sale (you’ll need one anyway for the DMV) and add language stating that the seller is agreeing to provide a clear title free of all encumbrances, and agrees to void the sale if clear title cannot be provided. Then, if there is a lien on the vehicle after the sale, you’d be able to undo the sale.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I like that. It is the missing link. Thanks.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Glad I could help. Good luck!