Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

i live in louisiana, a friend had me call and cancel her ex

i live in louisiana, a friend had me call and cancel her ex husbands hotel reservations. I simply called and said i wanted to cancel his reservations (I didnt say who I was) and they did it. In the end they upgraded his reservation to a better room. Not sure if its true but he says its a federal crime...fraud over state lines. Is this true? I didnt know I was committing a crime if I did.......maybe something that wasnt nice but certainly not a crime. Ive never even had a traffic ticket must less something else. Please give me some advice.
Yes, it is considered identity theft and electronic communications fraud. Now, will it be charged in prosecuted, the chances are slim to none, with none winning, that this would ever be charged. However, if I were you I would absolutely not say anything about you doing this to anyone.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I didnt say I was him, I just simply said I wanted to cancel his reservations......the hotel representative didnt ask who I was but simply did what I asked. He told his exwife that the DA was working on a case against both of us. What should I do? Should I meet with the DA or get an attorney? How do I find out what he claims is going on at the DAs office is true or not?