lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

If a lawsuit has been filed against me and I am given 20 calendar

If a lawsuit has been filed against me and I am given 20 calendar days to respond to the summons with a written respond what I am suppose to do or write in this response. Do I need to get a lawyer to write this response for me or can I do it myself?
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.

What type of lawsuit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it is a civil lawsuit

Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
All lawsuits are civil lawsuits so that does not help me much. What is it over?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The case is with a dialysis unit and myself the unit is suing for payment for services it states that it is for contracts and indebtedness. it also says on the documents remedies of sought is monetary and the number of causes of action is 3 specified as breach of contract, unjust enrichment and civil conspiracy. and it is not a class action suit but it does say that I have 20 calender days after this summons is served to file a written response to the attached complaint with the number given and the names of the party this written reponse must be filed if i want the court to hear my side ofthe case, but if I do not respond on time I may lose the case and my wages, money and property may thereafter be taken without further warning from the court.
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Did they provide you with personal medical services or are you a company that failed to provide them with services?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They provided me with personal medical services
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure where the civil conspiracy comes from. Here is a typical answer but it sounds like this may be for a significant amount and I strongly advise that you retain an attorney. You use the same heading as on the complaint, just change complaint to "answer". You would answer each paragraph of the complaint with either an admit or deny.

http://www.kinseylaw.com/attyserv/civil/answers/answer.html

Then you would list only the affirmative defenses that apply to your situation. Then you can also counterclaim for any damages that you may have suffered. You have to file your answer with the court and also have it served on the attorney for the other party. You cannot serve it yourself and you have to file the certificate of service with the court.

Here is a certificate of service. Scroll down to the bottom

http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/forms_rules/914.pdf