Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

Can landlord end the lease in lease period The lease is 4.5

Can landlord end the lease in lease period? The lease is 4.5 months till Dec.31,2011. After The tenant moved in for a week, the landlord wanted to end the lease and ask the tenant move out on Sep30. Is it illegal? Can tenants live till the end of the lease and don't care about the landlord's notice. Thanks

Good evening. The landlord cannot terminate the lease prior to its termination date and the landlord cannot force the tenant out. In order to evict the tenants, the landlord would have to prevail in an unlawful detainer action against the tenant, but the landlord cannot win that action because the tenant is not unlawfully remaining in the property....the tenant has a lease. As a result, the judge will not issue an eviction order and the landlord will have no legal right to cause the tenant to leave early.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.