John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

My husband and I own some timeshares that we no longer want.

My husband and I own some timeshares that we no longer want. Unfortunately, we have not found any legit way to sell them or even give them away without great additional expense. Our children do not want them and the timeshare companies will not buy them back. Would it be legal for me to will them back to the timeshare companies so my children won't be saddled with them?
Expert:  John Legal replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

That is creative "Will them back to the timeshare companies." I like that idea. However, it will likely not work. The timeshare companies can renounce the gift of the timeshare in the will. If the timeshare company renounces then the timeshares will go back to your heirs under the will or by intestate succession to your direct descendants.

Timeshares are notorious for the inability to "get rid of them." Really your only option is to try and have the company help you sell them, list them with a timeshare sales agency, sell them to a private party or leave them to your children.