How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Katy Tx and own a house. I signed a contract with

Resolved Question:

I live in Katy Tx and own a house. I signed a contract with a store to install granite counter top in my house and paid advance by check for $1990.00 and now 2 months has passed nothing happened. They were supposed to do the work in 10 days.
The guy who took the check still work from same loacation but with a new name of company and same kind of work.
Now he is saying the company is closed etc.. but he still have same location and operate same business with other name.
From Ripp off report I came to know there are many victimes like me.

I would like to add following -
I met the guy yesterday who took the check, he said he was working for a lady and she is no more running the company and company is closed.
He gave me new card with different company name and he said you can take any legal action, I am not involved as I was working for the company and she has closed the company. How ever he came to my house to collect the check.
What can I do now? please help.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 5 years ago.


Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name isXXXXX am a licensed, practicing Attorney, I have 25 years experience and would be glad to help

The attorneys on JustAnswer are glad to answer questions and give information, but JustAnswer is not a law firm, so we cannot take on client representation and no attorney-client relationship is formed.

Even if a new company took over the old company, they are liable for the contracts which the old company made with customers. Therefore, and to be sure that you have all the parties liable, you can sue the old company, the new company in Small Claims Court where you do not need a lawyer and present your case to the Judge. All you have to do is ask the Court Clerk for their Complaint form, fill it out, and when you give it back to the Court Clerk, he will give your case a hearing date. By naming all of them as Defendants, they can fight it out between themselves in Court, and have the Judge decide which of them owes you the refund of all your money.

Please be kind enough to press "ACCEPT", otherwise I do not get paid anything at all

and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are appreciated


Andrea, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions