How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 114042
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the remainderman in a life estate. Can I sell my interest

This answer was rated:

I am the remainderman in a life estate. Can I sell my interest in the life estate without the permission of the guardian
No, if you have a guardian, the guardian must approve your selling your interest, since the guardian is in charge of your estate.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My mom left me the house in a life estate. I am the remainderman. Mom is the life tenant. My sister is the guardian for my mom. Do I need my sisters approval to sell my interest in the life estate?
Thank you for clarifying this. If you do not have a guardian, you can sell your interest in the estate, but you have to sell subject to the life estate. This means that you can do nothing to impair the life estate rights as you only own the naked rights to the property. Thus in the sale you have to make it clear that all you are transferring is naked ownership subject to all rights of the life tenant and you do not need the guardian of the life tenant to approve, the key is simply that you do nothing to impair the life tenancy.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions