Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Arizona RICO Statute interpretation needed. A.R.S. 13-2314.04 The

Arizona RICO Statute interpretation needed. A.R.S. § 13-2314.04
"The last act of racketeering activity that is alleged as the basis of the claim occurred within five years of a prior act of racketeering."

Does this mean you can only allege back in time acts that occurred 5 years from the last act of racketeering?

Or does it mean that as long as the acts are continuous, the statute runs back 5 years from each prior act?

Also, if you are alleging federal RICO as well, do you count the last federal act of RICO for when the state statute begins to run? Or does the AZ RICO run from the last act of the AZ statute that you are alleging?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
On a Rico case, the statute of limitations on an on going act is 5 years from the last act alleged as a violation.

Each statute, federal and state, has its own statute of limitations, so each runs separately.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I need an example to understand this. If an AZ act of racketeering occurs in January 2009, and other acts under different AZ RICO statutes also occurred every year going back say 10 years earlier,
does the statute keep going backwards five years from every earlier act?

In other words, does it keep running backward as long as the acts are continuous racketeering acts?
If the last act occurred in 2009, then that is the time the statute of limitations runs from. The statute never stops running if there are continual acts so it keeps running back.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you have experience with federal and state RICO complaints such that you have proven this to be the case?

Just my 20+ years of state and federal law enforcement experience combined with the practice of law. Plus, the legal education that instructs attorneys on how statutes of limitations work.