Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

What is the statute of limitations for filing contempt of court

What is the statute of limitations for filing contempt of court for non payment of court ordered attorney fees?
Under ct statute 54-193 spells it out. Contempt of court is punishable up to 6 months in prison. Is this all accurate and useful to me in court? The court order was in 2006 and I was served about a month ago.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

TexLawyer :

There is no statute of limitations in Connecticut for enforcement of child support arrears. As such, there will be no statute of limitations regarding the court's enforcement of its orders.

Customer:

Its not child support, its lawyers fees.

Customer:

how ya doing btw?

Customer:

hello?

TexLawyer :

Sorry, I had to step away for a few seconds.

Customer:

ok im here

TexLawyer :

OK, sorry about the confusion.

Customer:

lol no problem

TexLawyer :

Any crime punishable by less than a year in jail is considered a misdemeanor. In Conn, the statute of limitations on a misdemeanor is 1 year.

Customer:

that's what I thought. Do you have the statutes stating that?

TexLawyer :

This isn't a statute, but it is a summary of Connecticut statutes.

Customer:

cool, thank you

TexLawyer :

Keep in mind, however, that the statute of limitations does not run while the person is fleeing law enforcement or they are out of state. I don't know if that helps, but I just wanted you to have all the info.

Customer:

hmmm, I am out of state, not fleeing the law though lol

TexLawyer :

OK, but if you were out of state for all but less than a year of that time, the statute of limitations does not run. Basically, if you are out of state, you are outside the jurisdiction of Conn courts, and it stops the statute of limitations clock from ticking during the period you are out of state.

TexLawyer :

It doesn't matter if you are running from law enforcement if you are out of state.

Customer:

wow ok, dthen can I use federal jurisdiction, rhode island (that's where I am) and are there federal statutes or constitutional rights to defend myself?

TexLawyer :

Federal law would not apply here, but you will have the opportunity to defend yourself in Conn court. There are federal statutes related to failure to pay child support, but not contempt of state court.

Customer:

what fed statutes are there? This is for a gardian ad litum.

TexLawyer :

Again, there aren't federal statutes related to contempt of a state court. The only federal statutes that deal with this sort of thing are about failure to pay child support.

TexLawyer :

Does that answer your questions?

Customer:

ok then, would an order to pay garidan ad litum for my son be construed as child support?

TexLawyer :

No, that would be considered court costs.

Customer:

Ok. Sorry to bother you, one more thing. I need a second opinion. He was under state aid (husky health care) during the time of the original order. Is it true that because of that the state is responsible to pay that? Commission on Child Protection 46b-62

TexLawyer :

I'm hesitant to give an opinion on Conn. health care law. Without doing significant research, I can't say for sure. Sorry.

Customer:

Ok, if you look up the statute you can see. TY for your help

TexLawyer :

based on a plain reading of the statute, you appear to be correct, but you should consult with a Conn health care lawyer about it.

TexLawyer :

Can I help you with anything else?

TexLawyer :

If I've answered your question, it is important that you click the "Accept" button so that I get credit for my time. Good luck.

Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in both state and federal court.