Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I have a balloon payment due on my home equity line of credit

I have a balloon payment due on my home equity line of credit which I can't pay. Are there any other options so that my property doesn't get turned over to their liquidation department?
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Justanswer.com. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

It appears you have already explored most of the options that would normally be available to you in this situation.

Since you do not qualify for the modification or refinancing, your only remaining options would normally involve filing for bankruptcy protection and seeking a cram down modification of the loan, or attempting to sell the property as a short sale if you owe more than the home is worth.

A short sale can be advantageous in that it does not impact your credit as severely as a foreclosure or bankruptcy and you would typically seek a release of liability from the lender in the short sale process so they cannot obtain a deficiency judgment against you.

If you wish to keep the home, then I would contact a local bankruptcy attorney and set up a consultation to discuss your financial situation overall and determine whether that is a viable option.

Good luck and take care.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and all the best to you.