Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

got married in feb. 2011 to someone who has a lot of legal

got married in feb. 2011 to someone who has a lot of legal trouble. in may his wages were guarnised and is in jail and lost job. now they are going to go after me for the money, but all this happened before met him and i wasnt part of any of it. can they go after my pay check ? they have filed paper work to do that.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I am very sorry for your situation. When you say 'going to go after [you],' what do you mean? Who, and for what debt, and have they filed anything in Court, or are just threatening to do so?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it was on ccap friday, have not received paper work yet. small claims case that was won for 5000.00 and because he is in jail and doesn't have a job. they now are going to try to get the money from me i quess, i thought if happen before met him and wasnt part of any of this, i wasnt involved or is it because we are married
Were you named as a Defendant in the suit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NOT SURE WILL HAVE TO CHECK ON THAT, I DONT THINK SO , CAN THEY DO THAT AFTER THE FACT?
No.

But, I need to know if your name was on the suit - please let me know if you can.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO
Thank you. Then they are bluffing. They cannot come after you with the judgment, unless any bank accounts you hold have his name on it, or vice versa. Then they can levy that bank account to satisfy judgment.

Otherwise, they cannot hurt you with that judgment and are just trying to scare you into paying so they get their money from somewhere. Do not allow them to bully you!

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at…

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-attorneyeli/

…if you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SO I NEVER SHOULD HAVE A BANK ACCOUNT WITH HIS NAME ON OR THEY CAN COME AFTER IT FOR BACK STUFF AS LONG AS DEBT IS UNPAID?
You are correct. They can enforce a judgment for 20 years, so do avoid combining money in one account or having him as a beneficiary on yours, to avoid liability.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you , one last thing if you know how woulld i get info on finding a lawyer for him in minnosta for charges there.
My pleasure.

Try www.avvo.com. You can find an attorney locally using factors such as professional experience, areas of practice, and client reviews.