Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.
10805288

Have problem with a lady that was telling the wife and I different

Customer Question

Have problem with a lady that was telling the wife and I different things about each other while we were separated. She was the wife's landlord and our realtor,pushing the wife to get a divorse and put our home on the market for sale.this lady was also telling my wife that I was going to kill her and her room mate, which caused a lot of stress and time off for my wife. Call me at(NNN) NNN-NNNNLloyd Shackett. We want to know if any thing can be done about this problem, the wife and I are back together now.
Expert:  Alexia Esq. replied 5 years ago.
*Due to rules of your state bar or mine, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

What country and state did this occur in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My state is Vt. The lawer we talked to said he thought all we could do is maybe get her realter licsene revoked. Do you think we could do more?

I DO think she is breaching some duties of holding a real estate license, such as the duty of not engaging in a conflict of interest and not looking out for the best interest of the client, who would be the homeowners, plural. However, you may also have a claim for defamation for any negative false statements made to any third party, that caused damage to your reputation - and telling someone falsely that you are out to kill them would typically be defamation per se. If you read here, there is very good information on what you must prove to sustain a Vermont Action for defamation:
http://www.vtbar.org/Upload%20Files/WebPages/Attorney%20Resources/juryinstructions/civiljuryinstructions/Defamation.htm

Good luck!

I hope this helps clarify for you.

Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely appreciate your abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Feel free to follow up after, if you need clarification. An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again. A BONUS is a wonderful way to tell the expert her time and effort are appreciated. I wish you the best in your future.