LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I have a pending court case (in Virginia) in which I am the

I have a pending court case (in Virginia) in which I am the plaintiff scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. The defendant has retained an attorney within the last 2 weeks and said attorney mailed a copy of a letter to me which he sent to our court stating that he would be unable to attend and giving them some dates. (although the letter states the wrong county in it, but I believe that just to be a typo) Do I still show up tomorrow; can I contest this? What am I supposed to do at this point?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

You will need to call the court clerk's office---in the correct county--- and ask whether your case is still on calendar for tomorrow. If it is you will have to appear, because if you do not, and neither does the other party, and the court has not continued the case, the judge will dismiss the lawsuit.

There is not way to really contest the request for a continuance, as the court will almost certainly grant it as a courtesy to the attorney. About all you can do is realize that the hearing will likely be postponed---giving you time to better prepare your case if you need it.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Doug