John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

When my brother and his wife divorced, she stated in her divorce

Customer Question

When my brother and his wife divorced, she stated in her divorce that her children could not be around me or my seven year old child. She named him in the papers and implied that he "beat up" her seven year old. Can she do this?
Expert:  John Legal replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

Unfortunately, if this was agreed to by your brother or ordered by the court then the interaction between your brother's children, you and your children can be restricted.

There is nothing wrong with her making this request to limit how his custody arraignment works. If the court has not made a decision on this, your brother can fight it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess what my question was, is how can she name a minor in a legal document, when the minor is not her child. Isn't that slander against my child?
There is nothing illegal about naming a minor in a legal document. It could be defamation if you can prove that the statements are false.