Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,
5180018

My great grand father purchased 500 acres of land after the

My great grand father purchased 500 acres of land after the civil war in mississippi. how can i find out about it. I was told it was heir property.
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

You would have to search prior deed conveyances for the land and cross reference it with Land Survey Maps dating back to the current day. This is not a simple process and would best be performed by a real estate attorney or a real estate title company.

More important Im not sure you just want to check the historical transfer of the property and if that's you sole purpose then what I explained to you is your best option. However, you used the term "heir property" which makes me believe you think you or someone else may be legally entitled to the property. You may if at the time of your great grandfather's death he transferred the property to a relative who had in turn transferred it to a relative over time and those relatives have paid the taxes and expenses. If someone along the way failed to pay the taxes and other expenses or if there were no heirs who took the property then you would not be legally entitled. The only way to find out for sure is to have a search done.