Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law

My son and his ex girlfriend split in january of this year.

My son and his ex girlfriend split in january of this year. THey had a siberian husky which was "his" dog and she had a dog/ THey got the dog at the humaner society and it was in her name. When she left she said he could have the dog as long as he kept it inside he agreed and she gave him the papers belonging to the dog promising to sign it over to him this never happened she has never come to see the dog nor asked about him my son takes good care of the dog she is now seven months later saying that we would not let her take the dog and she hasnt had the money to take him to court what should he do? this girl and her parents abandoned several dogs and the humane society was called in to come and get them, she does not have a job and is probly doing this because my son has moved on what should we do the police say it is a civil matter
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

There is really nothing for your son to do at this time. If his former girlfriend wants the dog back, it would be incumbent upon her to take action to do so. As to that, her legal options would be to call the police or sue him in civil court.

If she calls the police to report the dog as stolen, then the police would likely come to the house. Once your son explains that she gave the dog to him and that it has been in his possession for seven months, the police would most likely tell her that it is a civil matter and that there is nothing they can do.

Her other option would be to sue in civil court. If she were to do that, his defense would be the same, that being that she gave him the dog. Presuming that he can prove this out, it seems likely that he would prevail.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there any action we could take to be proactive to not wait for her to do something its very frustrating and worrisome to have to sit and wait for her to take action
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, there really is no legal action available to you to prevent her from taking some future legal action.

However, there are some things you can do to ensure that the dog stays with you. If you are concerned about her trying to just come over and take the dog, make sure that the dog is secured in such a fashion so as she cannot do this. Also, continue to act as though the dog belongs to you. By this I mean take the dog to the vet, provide proper care and otherwise act as the rightful owners.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The dog has an electronic chip can we not sue or something to get this changed to him to get this out there and taken care of once and for all she would still have to prove that she has been taking care of him and trying to get him back Someone told me that Indiana law requires that you report within 72 hours if the dog is "missing" and file a complaint within 20 days She holds the upper hand if we do nothing but sit around and worry
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

Please understand that dogs are considered property, just like a chair or a table or a television. Also, possession of property creates a presumption of ownership. As such, there is really nothing to sue her for in this situation.

The chip presents an interesting situation. If you have requested that she put the chip in your name and she has failed/refused to cooperate, then you could consider a small claims lawsuit requesting assistance from the court to get her to do so. My concern though is that forcing the issue may not be prudent.

While I do understand your concern about "sit around and worry", if you do nothing, she may do the same. The net result is just what you desire....the dog remains with you. Conversely, if you take a proactive stance and file a lawsuit, this may force her to respond in kind and file a lawsuit against you. While my speculation is that you would prevail, it is just that, speculation. We must acknowledge that it is possible you would lose and the dog would then be taken from you.

CAN you be proactive and take the matter to court? Sure. SHOULD you be proactive? That's a tougher question and one that can only be answered by you. If, understanding the risks, you still prefer the proactive approach, then proceed accordingly.

Joseph, Attorney
Experience: I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law