Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,

Good evening, Im starting a blog and would like to use

Good evening,

I'm starting a blog and would like to use an image found on the Internet. The image is downloadable and there is nothing suggesting a copyright of any kind. I right clicked on the image which linked me to a firefighters association website. They used the same photo in a pub. ed piece as a fill in. So, my question is, can I use it?
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

Copyright law protects work even if no papers have been filed with the government. Unless there is a clear statement that art, photos and text are "public domain" and available for free use, the best policy is to assume that they are copyrighted and should not be taken and used for re-publication on a local area network, a wide area network or a Web site.

The reason is that
in general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. (See Circular 1, Copyright Basics)

So all the Firefighter Association would have to do it prove they use it before you such as proof of date posted on the webpage and you would be in violation.

Your better off asking the Association to use the clipart and obtain written permission first to avoid the problem