Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

tenant information about retrieving a security deposite on

Customer Question

tenant information about retrieving a security deposite on a rental apartment after moving out , the landlord didn't renew a rental lease. landlord charges the tenant for repairs on a front bedroom closet due from the building leaking rain water and snow melt including the fisrt and second floors in the exact same lication. tenant used the front bedroom for storage only. tenant lost $500.00 of winter sweaters due to mildew and water leakage. plus tenant had %90 of the livingroom,hallway and back bedroom floors coverd with throw rugs, which landlord wants to charge against my $685.00 security. landlord has a bad infestation of mice running rapid throughout the building. i had a cat to exterminate the mice problem. tenanont rash was present in the livingroom to be put out. i left a note to landlord my husband would put it out on the following thursday. there isn''t a dumpster and he would also pick up the remainder of our things a very few items on july 1,2011 and left the keys for the landlord. i also had a problem with the landlord about the heating system being broke the whole winter for the entire winter for the whole building which made my gas bill and electric bill go up because of the heating problem. so, do i have a reason enough to get part of my security back.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good evening.

RayAnswers :

You can sue the landlord here in small claims for your deposit and any charges you disagree with.

RayAnswers :

Certainly you have some facts to present here and you may recover judgment including your filing fees here.This would be your means of getting your money back.

Customer :

will there be any other costs or would i have to previde proof of the rain water damage.

RayAnswers :

You woudl have to present any evidence you have to support your claims for return of security deposit.

RayAnswers :

Here are free forms

RayAnswers :

• Civil Complaint
    Filing Instructions
    - This is the civil complaint form for use in filing small claims. Tenants also should use this form when filing complaints about landlords. You need to have one copy of the civil complaint with original signature for the magisterial district judge. You will be charged filing costs and service costs when the complaint is filed at the district court. No changes may be made to this form either in content or format.
  • RayAnswers :

You can testify as well the facts and conditions of the tenancy in court at your hearing.And he might decide to settle once you file.

RayAnswers :

I wish you the best in small claims

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

RayAnswers :

If you have pics here or any other evidence you can pout these in evidence to the judge.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for letting me get you the forms and information that you needed.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
    What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
    Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
    Have a great evening and thanks