Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I sued two parties that owed money to me and I had them sign

I sued two parties that owed money to me and I had them sign a note that calls for both attorney fees and 9% interest until the note is paid. They quit paying and I have filed suit against both of them. There has been no judgment entered as one of them was sick for 3 years a couldn't be in court or give discovery (they asked for a bench trial) they were the ones that stalled the case as they know they can't get out of the signed note. MY QUESTION IS AM I ENTITLED TO THE 9% INTEREST PER ANNUM UNTIL JUDGMENT IS ENTERED AS IT WILL BE I'M SURE NEXT MONTH, OR DOES THE 9% INTEREST CEASE WHEN I FILED SUIT? THE NOTE ALSO CALLED FOR LATE FEES WHICH THEY OWE ALSO. I HAD A CPA PREPARE THE NOTE THEY SIGNED. cOULD YOU PLEASE ADVISE IF i AM ENTITLED TO INTEREST AND LATE FEES AS IT AMOUNT TO QUITE ALOT OF MONEY.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good evening. You will be entitled to the 9% not just through the judgment, but until it gets paid.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I THINK YOU MISUNDERSTOOD ME. THIS CASE GOES BACK TO 2008 AND I FILED SUIT IN 2008 AM I ENTITLED TO INTEREST AND LATE CHARGES, NO MATTER HOW LONG THE CASE GOES UNTIL I GET JUDGMENT. I WAS TOLD WHEN YOU FILE SUIT ON A CASE THE INTEREST STOPS WHEN SUIT IS FILED, IS THIS CORRECT.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
That is not correct...you are generally awarded pre and post judgment interest. If you prevail, it is likely you are going to be awarded interest until you are actually paid.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I submitted a followup question with regard to the original question which is very important. When I get the answer to the followup question, I will be happy to pay.

Richard Bridgman

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
I thought I answered the follow up...if you have an additional question beyond the one I answered, let me know and I will be happy to address it.