Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I co-signed for our sons student loan. He is currently underemployed

I co-signed for our sons student loan. He is currently underemployed and can't make the payments.What are my leagal possibilities besides sueing my son;I'm not able to make the payments and his being behind in the payments is affecting my credit significantly. Dennis
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Unfortunately you and your son a are jointly and severally responsible for the students loan if you co-signed them.

Unfortunately student loans are almost never dischargerable in bankruptcy and either than suing your son or if this is private student loan negotiating some type of settlement, there are no other legal options.

I am very sorry that you are faced with this unfortunate situation.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!