Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

hi, I am an Indian Citizan currently working in USA on work

hi, I am an Indian Citizan currently working in USA on work visa.
After I get married to my girlfriend who is citizan of USA I will have to adjust my status from H1B (Work visa) to get Green CArd
Also we are planning to sign Prenuptial agreement before we get married
My question is if we sign teh prenuptial agreement do we need to submit it to the consulate ?
can this Prenuptial agreement be a problem to get the GREEN cARD or citizanship of USA ?
Submitted: 5 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello there:

A prenuptial agreement will not interfere with a green card application or citizenship application under ordinary circumstances; a prenuptial agreement is a contact that specifies the parties' rights in the event of marital dissolution--the decision to have a prenuptial agreement is no more or less relevant than a decision to rely on the law to determine the parties' rights in the event of marital dissolution. It is not a problem on the American side of the equation. There is also not an automatic requirement to surrender a copy of a prenuptial agreement to the consulate, though it may be requested in the course of the citizenship and/or green card process.

Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If I am asked any question about Prenuptial agreement , Is it necessary to disclose that information to the consulate while going through GC or Citizan process ?

Or can I simply say we never had any Prenuptial agreement even if we have signed one ?

There is no legal reason to not disclose the information unless it contains information that would indicate that your marriage is a sham marriage or that you lied about other things. You don't have to disclose its existence, but you are jeopardizing your application if they later find out that you lied. I don't expect that they will ask to see the agreement, but it is important to the application process that you provide accurate information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

so if i want to make a prenuptial agreement how much would it cost me ? and where can I get it done ?

Also is there any law in living relationship that says a man needs to pay his spouse some amount if they separate after some duration without getting married ?

pls let me know asap

thanks