Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

I am selling my business (sole Prop) to someone that has set

I am selling my business (sole Prop) to someone that has set up a corporation and wants the purchase agreement in my name and the name of the corporation he has formed. I am holding 75% of the purchase price, the buyer is paying back over 7 years. He is signing a prom note personally, as is his spouse. Does the prom note tie him personally to the deal, or must his name appear in the actual agreement? My concern was that if the business went under before repayment, he could walk away. Thanks.
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

If they are willing to sign a promissory note personally and the corporation is also signing the note, then you are fine. All three will be on the hook for the note. In the promissory note, you can refer to the deal if the deal is documented in a separate set of papers.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".