Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am a RN, and I am transferring my license to another state

I am a RN, and I am transferring my license to another state (From PA & MI to Montana). On the Montana RN application there is a box to disclose any past guilty pleas including deferred sentences. They would also like a written description of the account and any legal record/documents concerning the case. So, back in 1995, I had a DWAI in Colorado (driving while ability impaired), with a blood alcohol of .078 (not even an offense in a lot of states including Montana). I hired a lawyer then and received a deferred sentence. i tried to contact Colorado and far as I know there is no longer a record available of this case. So, my question is, should I even disclose this information on the Montana RN application since Ive already been background check at least three times in the last few years, with no mention of this case......or should I disclose this information and hope that it will not hurt my chances of getting the license?
Expert:  Ray replied 5 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good morning.

Customer:

hello

RayAnswers :

You really need to know what your criminal record reflects.Even if you have to order it I would not submit this until you know whether it is on your record or not.Otherwise they get you for failure to disclose here.So before you answer no here because it was deferred and hopefully removed you need to know what will show up.

Customer:

where can i order a criminal record?

Customer:

quickley

RayAnswers :

Right here sorry was getting this for you.

Customer:

so , if nothing is on my record then i should not disclose it right?

RayAnswers :

I would tell you to report it here but it might well flag your application and honestly if it was deferred then you do not have a conviction assuming they removed it.So its really critical to know here that it was removed.

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.

RayAnswers :

Yes if it doesn't show up then you answer no.

RayAnswers :

What your ordering is exactly what they will run here.

Customer:

ok, thank you.

RayAnswers :

You're welcome and good luck

RayAnswers :

If you can click accept it is much appreciated.