Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In Massachusetts, there is a mortgage contract (called Contract

In Massachusetts, there is a mortgage contract (called Contract I). Homeowner was getting to the point where it was impossible to make $3800 monthly payments
The mortgage company suggested the Homeowner take out a government inspired HAMP loan. Homeowner filled out the requisite paperwork and followed the terms of this new contract, (called Contract II). The terms of the HAMP loan called for reduced monthly payments to $2700, that after making 3 consecutive payments of $2700, this would be become the new term for repayment of the mortgage, and that the mortgage contract would be considered current.
Homeowner made the requisite three consecutive payments. Homeowner then made 6 additional monthly payments under the new price term. In the 7th month, the Mortgage company wrote and said the investor behind the HAMP loan denied the contract (Contract II)---AND the mortgage company subsequently REFUSED to take any further payments from the homeowner.
In addition, the Mortgage Company took the the some $20,000+ payments made under the terms of the HAMP contract (Contract II) and placed it in an escrow account, rather than taking it as mortgage payments under Contract II.
The Mortgage company has taken the money paid under the terms of Contract II and has arbitrarily applied those funds to pay off part of the price term of Contract I.
The legal question (s) are:
1) Under these circumstances, what legal argument can the Homeowner present stating that the money paid to the HAMP contract (Contract II) was wrongfully applied by the Mortgage company to the original Mortgage contract (Contract I)--as they are two separate contracts---and that the money should be returned to the Homeowner with interest?
2) Can the Mortgage company arbitrarily cancel a HAMP mortgage contract --and refuse to accept further payments---when the Homeowner made the requisite three initial payments, and a subsequent 6 additional payments, on the grounds that its investor denied the contract?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

There really is no legal argument here for the homeowner. They money would be applied to the payment, be it interpreted under Contract I or Contract II.

This cannot be done. Homeowner signed a contract with the mortgage institution. Institution cannot breach contract for the Home Affordable Modification program(unless the new contract has a clause that states that upon the underwriter withdrawing support, the contract is voided - check carefully!), and and the underwriter's withdrawal is the Institution's problem, and not Homeowner's.

So what to do? The Homeowner needs to write a certified letter to the Institution advising them of said stand and threaten suit unless they reinstate HAMP.

In this case, the Homeowner would have the right to sue for the tort of breach of contract. The elements for this tort are: (1) an agreement was made between the plaintiffs and the defendant supported by valid consideration; (2) the plaintiffs have been ready, willing, and able to perform; (3) the defendant's breach has prevented them from performing; and (4) the plaintiffs have suffered damage. Singarella v. City of Boston, 342 Mass. 385, 387, 173 N.E.2d 290, 291 (Mass.1961).

The homeowner may also then request a motion for temporary orders enjoining the Institution from filing for foreclosure and forcing it to apply the amount in escrow to Contract II and take payments in Contract II's amount, while the matter is pending.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at…

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-attorneyeli/

…if you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”