Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am trying to find out what kind of attorney do I need ... The

I am trying to find out what kind of attorney do I need ...
The issue is as follows...

My family is Samoan and we want to sue a sister in law for a book that is handwritten by our father. It is our family book and pertains to our family history and specifications to family owned land in American Samoa.
My brother was given the book by our father with the intent for it to be handed down to the next sibling after his death however, the sister in law has kept the book and after several attempts refuses to relinquish the family/land book. It is important for us to obtain this book for land disputes in American Samoa.
We do not object to her maintaining a copy but the original is needed for legal issues in American Samoa in reference to our village, family history and Samoan Culture.
It seems she is keeping the book out of spite. Stating that the family had nothing to do with her till they needed the book.

Please advise... XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Justanswer.com.

Is there documentation anywhere as to ownership of the book?

Where is the sister-in-law located?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. She states that the book was given to my brother once he became Chief of the family. Which we do not argue. But Samoan Tradition/Culture states the book belongs with the next in line.
This book is Samoan and Family Culture. She is not Samoan.

San Francisco, CA
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
I see.

I would look for a family law attorney in San Francisco to represent you in pursuing the right to possession of the book. This is an unusual case, but a family law attorney would typically be your best option.

Websites such as findlaw.com and martindale.com are usually good sources for locating attorneys by area of practice and location.

Good luck and take care.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.