Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I am a Minister of Music. I was fired because I did not fit

Customer Question

I am a Minister of Music. I was fired because I did not "fit in with the vision" of the church. No one knows what the "vision of the church" is. Cong. members are telling me it was just the committee chair who has been "gunning" for me. I was promised a salary increase after the 90 day evaluation. That evaluation took place 3 monts late, and my salary did not increase due to budgetary constraints. I was also promised healthcare after 90 days. At the evaluation, I brought up that I had no healthcare, and the committee chair said I would have it by the end of the week. To this date, I have never had healthcare. Now that I am termed, I will not have the option for cobra serve, or anything else. My wife and I both need dental work done, to assist us with being more hireable. Due to working in the church, I do not have recourse to unemployment. Do I have any legal recourse? Thank you for your assitance!

E. Joseph America
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

I am a Florida attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

Please tell me:

Did you have an employment contract?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was suppose to be - but it was never done.
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Since you do not have a written employment contract, you are considered to be an employee at will. An employee at will may have his hours cut, pay reduced or be terminated at any time. The employer does not require a reason to do so.

So sorry you are in this situation.