Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

Is there a way I can lower or eliminate federal witholding

Is there a way I can lower or eliminate federal witholding from my paycheck?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. Yes, you can change the withholding by filing a new W-4 with your employer that governs how much is withheld. You do need to be aware, however, that this change only changes the amount withheld, but does not affect what tax you owe on your income at the end of the year.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What changes on the W-4 need to be made?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
You need to up your number of exemptions. Your employer will have a chart that will tell you how many to claim based on what you want withheld.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a maximum # XXXXX exemptions?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Yes, but you will have to ask your employer what would be applicable to you.