Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I settled on a personal injury case over 2 weeks ago, and the

I settled on a personal injury case over 2 weeks ago, and the attorney received the settlement check made payable to myself and the attorney's office on Thursday, June 16th. I went to the office, endorsed the back of the check, and have yet to receive my portion of the proceeds from the settlement...is there a law or something that states that an attorney has to hold funds for a certain amount of time or has to release them in a certain amount of time to myself in the State of Virginia....I keep getting the run-around from the attorney's office and they are not returning emails anymore.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. There is no such law. You should have a letter delivered by messenger demanding your payment within a very short specified period of time. Inform them that otherwise you will be immediately filing an ethics complaint with the state bar association and a civil legal malpractice claim for misappropriating your money.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.