Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I own a commercial building in a small town , the configuration

I own a commercial building in a small town , the configuration of the building in some way shares a roof with the surrounding building .
I received a letter from a Lawyer in that town asking for a $1200.00 payment , stating that water was leaking into their building from my roof so they had my roof re roofed .
At no time did anyone contact me about any water leaking nor did anyone ask me to repair it or mention it needed repair .
Now I cant even take MY roofer up there to verify that My roof was leaking .
Can they make me pay ?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Good morning. No...they cannot ambush you in this manner....as you say...you had not notice, no opportunity to evaluate if there was a problem and if there was one, the extent of it and repair alternatives, and no validation of what was done. BotXXXXX XXXXXne....you can't prevent them from filing a claim against you, but in my opinion, they are not likely to prevail.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If they file a claim and end up in small claims court, can I recover my expenses?
Like being off work that day , having my own roofer evaluate the roof and how it was done , pictures , travel expense, time and stress of it ?

I looked at the work and it is very poorly done .
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you can recover your actual losses, including lost wages and the cost of remediating their poor workmanship....but you would not be entitled to recover for stress or emotional distress.

I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.