LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My son was caught stealing a bottle of Grey Goose Vodka from

Customer Question

My son was caught stealing a bottle of Grey Goose Vodka from Safeway in Phoenix, AZ. in March 2011. At the time he was 17. His 18th birthday was May 28th, but we just received his court date to appear (July 19th) in the Phx. Municipal Court, which is where the adult cases are tried..
My question is this. If the act of crime itself was committed while he was a juvenile, but turned 18 while waiting for a court date to be issued, can the state of Arizona charge him as an adult? If this was his 1st offense of shoplifting, what are his possible consequences, and does the fact that he was charged with possession of marijuana while he was 17 also, but was seen in a juvenile court for that matter.
He has no record, and I am hoping to keep it that way.
Hoping for a good response!
Thank you
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 years ago.
He should be charged based upon his age when the crime was committed. Since he has no record, he could likely be eligible for a diversion program for first time offenders, who get caught shop lifting. This should be something he inquires about in July, at his appearance, so that if he does everything that is asked of him, the charges would be dismissed and off his record. It normally requires staying out of trouble for a few months, community services, fines and costs. The end result though, is the case gets dismissed.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience: 8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if you could please answer another concern of mine...now that he is 18 but his girlfriend is still 16 soon to be 17, knowing that they are sexually involved, I am wondering about the laws around this issue here in Phoenix? He is now legally a male adult, as she is still a female minor! Help!!!

Arizona Revised Statute 13-1405 states that engaging in sexual intercourse or oral sexual contact with any person who is under eighteen years of age in Arizona is a felony crime. Sexual conduct with a minor who is under fifteen years of age is considered a class 2 felony crime and is punishable with a minimum of 13 years in prison. Sexual conduct with a minor who is 12 years of age or younger is punishable with life imprisonment under section 13-705.

Meanwhile, sexual contact with a minor who is 15, 16 or 17 years of age, is considered a class 6 felony in Arizona and punishable with at least six months in prison.

He should be careful as it could be an issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very, very much! You have been very helpful to me....
Your welcome and good luck.