Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I recently had a question about accidentally putting a dent

I recently had a question about accidentally putting a dent in a work vehicle on the workplace's property. Nobody was involved. The person didn't say or do anything about it and it has been three years. I heard the criminal statute in Idaho is one year, and civil is three years. Is there a reason for this to be a concern or not?

TexLawyer :

Was this your work vehicle?

Customer:

no i put the dent in the vehicle, not mine

TexLawyer :

You are correct about the statute of limitations, so long as you have not left the state within that period of time.

TexLawyer :

In Idaho, if a person leaves the state, the time they are gone does not count against the statute of limitations.

TexLawyer :

Assuming you haven't left the state, the statute of limitations has run and you don't have anything to worry about.

Customer:

okay, that was my question, i haven't left the state, but i don't even know what could have been done even during that time, i should apologize for my lack of judgement maybe, unless that's not a good idea

Customer:

this is pretty reliable information, right? as far as the website states, thank you for the information

TexLawyer :

I wouldn't bring it up. There is nothing to gain from that, unless you plan to pay them back. If they sued you - even if the statute of limitations has run - you would have to defend yourself, which would cost you money. My advice is to say nothing.

Customer:

it's just done, and be careful next time, huh

TexLawyer :

Yes. Nothing good will come out of telling them.

TexLawyer :

Consider it a lesson learned.

Customer:

thanks a bunch, i will accept the answer, i appreciate reliable knowledge

TexLawyer :

Glad to help. Good luck.

TexLawyer :

If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please click the "Accept" button. Good luck.

Customer:

awesome, thanks a bunch