Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My CA medical license is in jeopardy.

Customer Question

My CA medical license is in jeopardy. I am two years into a 5 year probationary term. I also have a WI medical license. Although there is not any new or incriminating information available, the WI authorities want to revoke my license there. Would this action cause my CA to be revoked as well?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Did you report the probation on your CA license to WI?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, back in 2010. About a month later I was contacted by an investigator from WI who asked some questions over a period of a few weeks. Then, there was about 13 months of silence.
My reason for renewing my WI licence was to see if I could find a job there. I have not been successful. I have not been in WI since June 2001 and I most certainly have no plans to return now. Since I renewed my license there, I am now facing thousands of dollars in WI fines, penalties and investigational costs which will result in my WI license being revoked. I was told that my CA would be revoked as well because of the action by the WI authorities.

From: Lawrence J Williamson, MD [mailto:XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX] 
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 9:43 AM
To: DRL
Cc: DRL; DRL Renewal
Subject: 41740-020 renewal
RE:  41740-020 renewal and CA medical license restrictions notification
I would like to renew my Wisconsin medical license.  As directed by law, I am informing you that my California medical license (A73495) is under a probationary status in which I am not permitted to supervise PAs or engage in the solo practice of medicine until August 28, 2010. The text of the decision and stipulation are available on the Medical Board of California web site: 
If WI revokes your license for any reason, this is grounds for your CA license to be revoked and vice versa. However, you do have a right to due process in WI and a right to fight them and their decision, but you will need an attorney in WI who practices professional liability. At this point, it sounds like WI is looking to revoke because of money you owe them and the attorney can negotiate that amount with them and even can arrange a payment plan to stop the revocation of the license.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I quite literally do not have the financial resources to pursue the $5000 retainer required. I'd rather drink hemlock at this time. There is no more fight left in me.
The problem is what you have to lose by not fighting or negotiating with WI. If you cannot afford an attorney, then you need to contact WI and negotiate some deal with them yourself to avoid the revocation of your license there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will do that.
You really have no choice but to. Best of luck on this. Please do not forget to click accept. Thank you.