John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
18914223

Dear Sirs I have recently experienced a separation form

Dear Sirs:

I have recently experienced a separation form my ex-wife and girlfriend (two separate people). During the separation the two women decided to contact every business and professional client that I had developed over a 10 years period and inform them of negative information about my past. This information was not only false and incorrect but extremely damaging, forcing me to lose upwards to 1M in current contracts and also lose teaming agreements that I had placed into play. This information which consisted of three single typed pages certainly damaged my professional status in my industry.

At the same time my girlfriend filed a STALKING order telling the court system things that never happened which I feel was also damaging to my professional and personal reputation. Just today that Stalking order was overturned and dismissed. I am wanting to file a Slander or Defamation of character suit against both individuals and I am needing to know what steps I need to take in order to do so and if this is a common problem.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

You would need to file a complaint against the two women in District Court in the county where the actions took place in Kansas. The pleading requirements of a slander and or defamation case are complex. It is also very complex to litigate a District Court action on your own. I would suggest searching for a civil litigation attorney in your area to represent you in filing such a case. If you have strong enough facts you may get an attorney to represent you on a type of contingency basis.

These cases are pretty rare for several reasons, slander or defamation is very hard to prove. If the statements where true then you have no case. 2. This will only continue to bring up the past as the people they told will need to testify for you that they told them. 3. Even if you get a judgment against them, it is possible they have very little to pay so it could be a big waste of money.

Just giving you some things to think about.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is more about proving the comments were Slanderous and Malicious. The information was sent out via email from there personal email addresses so every individual that they contacted is listed is the email TL. The comments are definitely false. The past is already out there and there is no way to squelsch this issue without proving them to be incorrent and malicious in their efforts. The cost I recover is somewhat secondary to actually receiving the judgment. Does that make since?
I can see where it may make emotional sense. I am saying that financially it could be nothing more than a financial drain.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
John:

Are there other avenues that I can explore that are less involved to acquire the same results. I do not want the individuals to just get away with their efforts and I'm not sure if there are other forms of legal action that I can pursue. Also, what would you estimate the cost to be for such a case as this .

As a Senior Vice President of an organization my reputation is paramount in what I do, this has been extremely damaging to my personal and professional career. I am looking for options i believe that may satisfy the same outcome. Before accepting the answer I would like to know if you see any alterntives to this scenario. Is there a way to file the paperwork, and then mediate out the uderstanding as a legal document through the court that I can then use to validate their contempt on this matter. I need to have both of the ladies involved at the same time, not necessarily the same case. Since one has also attempted to have a STALKING order placed against causing even more damage. This order was or course dismissed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
John:

As a Senior Vice President of an organization my reputation is paramount in what I do, this has been extremely damaging to my personal and professional career. I am looking for options i believe that may satisfy the same outcome. Before accepting the answer I would like to know if you see any alterntives to this scenario. Is there a way to file the paperwork, and then mediate out the uderstanding as a legal document through the court that I can then use to validate their contempt on this matter. I need to have both of the ladies involved at the same time, not necessarily the same case. Since one has also attempted to have a STALKING order placed against causing even more damage. This order was or course dismissed. One other problem that I have is that I believe my girlfriend to possibly be Pregnant and she refuses to provide me with proof one way or another, there are a tremendous amount of unanswered questions that I need to resolve. Also, if possible could you provided advise on all legal avenues that I might pursue.
To start I believe, as well as a lot of other litigators that you should never threaten something that you do not intend to finish. Therefore, I would never threaten a lawsuit that you do not intend to bring. With that said, the cost of litigation will likely start at $15,000 and could balloon to $30,000 plus quickly.

This will likely be a process that will take months and years. Mediation and settlement is certainly an option but you really need to be prepared to go full out if you file suit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information, I feel prepared to go full out! But thanks for the information.
I agree that you have a basis for going forward. Just want to make sure you are viewing the downsides as well. I see you possibly getting a big judgment and they have nothing to collect from so you are left with a great judgment with no way to collect.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I might ask one more question, what types of assets can be attached if you do receive a judgment in a case such as this?