Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My car was totaled in an accident. My adjuster called me with

Customer Question

My car was totaled in an accident. My adjuster called me with a settlement of $7000. I was wondering if I can get more for my new transmission I just put in and also like new battery and oil pan. Also, they did noted that I had a remote starter and car alarm also. Do i need send that receipt in also and it already in the settlement? Furthermore, the car is paid for and they ask me to send in a lien release that I paid the car and I don't own nothing. Where do I get that? They said the title should says it. Do i send in the real title or what? I'm sorry for asking alot but I don't know what the process is and what to do. This is my first accident and loss. any help I greatly appreciated. Oh, what about car rental they say i have to return it because they gave me a settlement. If i return i wont have a car to go work. I haven't even sign any paperwork or got my checks.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Once they make you an offer they are no longer required to provide you a rental IF the offer was reasonable. However, the only way to fight it is to pay for the rental yourself then sue them for it after you reach a settlement on the value or you sue them for the full value.

They should give you some extra for the rebuilt transmission and the oil pan but probably not the battery. You would need to provide receipts. They usually don't pay anything extra for the alarm but you can certainly try.

If you accept the settlement they will send you all the paperwork to sign along with the check, or else you sign the paperwork and then they give you the check.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you what about the question about lien release
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
You can get a release of lien from whoever financed it. It's just a form they fill out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Your previous expert was correct, please tell us what was wrong with the quality or ask for more clarification if something was not answered.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The adjuster say it should be on the title or a piece of paper. Where will I get a release form? He didn't tell me I had fill out a form but only to get that lien I should have it and put it with the sign paperwork. The car is paid off. If I had to get one it would just slow diwn the process and the car rental is due and I have to worry how I get to work when now I have no transportation. Who know how long it take to get the paperwork and sign than return it.
He did tell you, perhaps it wasn't clear to you. The release of lien is something completed by the bank or lending company that had the loan on the car. You contact that company and tell them you need the release of lien letter from them and they will provide it to you and generally they can do that within a week or so.