How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend had a roomate whom abandoned a one year lease

Customer Question

My girlfriend had a roomate whom abandoned a one year lease after two months. My girlfriend sued the roomate. The roomate is now counter sueing me saying I am responsible for her share of the lease. What should I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You will need to respond to the complaint. If you fail to respond to the complaint, a court will enter a default judgment granting the relief requested by the roommate. You will need to deny the allegations in the complaint
Ellen and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What are the chance of being responsible for her half of the rent?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Why would you be held liable?What are the roommates allegations?