How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 14810
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Bank refuses to cancel unused cashiers check I purchased

Resolved Question:

Can my bank refuse to cancel a cashiers check I purchased from them but did not use. I still have the original cashiers check and have changed my mind about giving it to the person as a gift as we no longer have a relationship. I took the original cashiers check to the bank where I purchased it and they refused to cancel it and return my money even if I endorse it with NOT USED FOR INTENDED PURPOSE. How can I get my money back without having to have the person the check it to sign it and endorse it over to me?  I am from Iowa.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

What is the reason stated for bank's refusal to refund your money?

Were the funds used to obtain cashier's check taken out of your account with the bank?

What is the total amount of the check?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did you get my additional information? My total for the 5 cashiers checks is 12500 dollars. My bank said it is their policy not to refund or cancel cashiers checks because they are not legally obligated to do so - they have their own legal team I was told by the bank official.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried to reply with more information. I received money from a CD shortly after my fathers death and emotionally wanted to give it equally to the 7 grandchildren - 2 of which are my children. My children were given their checks right away and used them for student loans. I kept the other checks at the bank in a deposit box and the payees (my nieces and nephew) do not know anything about the cashiers checks. I have changed my mind about the amount I want to give the other grandchildren from 2500 to 1000. I will then give the 7500 to my children to again help them with student loans. I made an emotional decision just a month after my father passed away which in reality wasn't the best for me or my family. When I wanted to cancel the checks my bank said they could not do it and I would have to have them endorsed by the payees to me - I have to ask them to sign them and then say oh by the way I want them back I'm only giving you 1000 dollars - to make matters worse because of estate matters I don't have a relationship with one of my nieces any more.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
How long ago were these checks purchased?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
January 13, 2011 and my father passed away December 9th 2010.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Generally the banks would agree to to refund the cashier's checks as long as the purchaser would endorse them as not being used for intended purpose.

Do you have any type of banking relationship with this bank?

What is the name of the bank?

Have you spoked to a branch manager?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have a checking account and loans through the bank. The name of the bank is United Bank which is headquartered in Ida Grove, Iowa with my branch being located in Kingsley, Iowa. I spoke with the Kingsley bank branch manager and he spoke with the main office. I then spoke with a person who handles these matters from the main office - Ida Grove. Is there any legal way to get my money back without having to have my nieces and nephew endorse them over to me?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Well, the bank bank does appear to be wrong under the facts you have stated to not to refund your money, especially providing the fact that you are not trying to cancel or put a stop on the cashier checks that were already given out.

I would suggest that you file a formal complaint with Iowa department of banking and also if all else fails you can file a lawsuit against the bank in the local court against the bank for unlawfully refusing to refund the money that you have paid for these check.

I would also strongly suggest that you consult with a local business attorney who can contact the bank legal department and negotiate the return of your money by writing a demand letter to the bank and letting the bank know that you are ready to pursue legal recourse against the bank.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 14810
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney
Alex J. Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.