Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

Im on the mortgage w/ my roommate as a home we purchased a

I'm on the mortgage w/ my roommate as a home we purchased a year ago. We got some HUD financing approval which we have to leave in the home for at least 3yrs. Me and my roommate can't get along at all and I would like to get my name off the mortgage loan as a co-signer. How can I legally do this or is it some way possible? Please help !!!
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Unfortunately, getting your name off a mortgage is not possible unless the LENDER agrees to do so voluntarily. This is because you signed a written enforceable contract that is binding until the loan is repaid. Most of the time, the loan has to be refinanced in the name of one of the two owners based on their own credit and income qualifications at a different bank. This is much like finding a new buyer for the house. Sorry.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ouch!!! This will be difficult so the only possible way is to sale the house?
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.
Either you will need to sell the house or one of you will need to buy it and qualify for a new loan on your own.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks!!!